For Healthcare Organizations & Teams
For Healthcare Organizations and Teams
Healthcare is increasingly complex, requiring sophisticated skills that prioritize high levels of coordination, collaboration, and trust. Drives for efficiency, value, and equity only raise the stakes and heighten the need for truly effective teams. The characteristics of high- performing teams and organizations have been known for decades. However, building such teams, or transforming poorly performing teams into them, is challenging.
The experiences we create are curated from decades of experience in healthcare and beyond. We help to make a core set of relational skills practical in healthcare.
Intend Health’s solutions are unique because…
- Relational and human dynamics are the foundation of our approach, rather than a complement.
- We focus on the essential skills, mindsets, and knowledge of high-performing teams and leaders and make them easily understandable, teachable, and shareable with others.
- Our programs are designed and taught by clinicians and other health professionals with deep personal experiences in both transactional, non-relational systems and human-centered relational systems, and who can speak directly from that experience about the gains in success and team engagement.
- We emphasize application and practice, facilitating group experiences that model high-performing teams so participants can both be inspired and begin developing relational “muscle memory.”
- We recognize that providing quality healthcare requires weaving together technical strategies focused on structures, processes, and workflows with relational strategies that attend to the human dynamics and relationships that drive our success.
- We offer real-time team interventions that serve the individual and collective needs for trust-building, healing, and organizational renewal.
We offer in-person, virtual, and hybrid workshops and programs, and are happy to partner with individual organizations and/or provider networks.
- A single workshop
- A workshop series
- A more intensive, customized program for intact teams, or a cohort of individuals from multiple teams with sessions delivered over weeks or months. The content is customized to address the needs and challenges specific to your group. Between sessions, team members will apply the techniques and reflect together on the results.
We can customize multi-session programs to the needs of your community.
Example Relational Leadership Workshops
"This year, there's been so much change with COVID, with work, with everything. But I feel like the PCP Student Action Network has been that constant that I could always just count on. And my favorite part is that no matter how stressful work was, no matter how stressful the year was, whenever it came time for a PCP call or any PCP anything, it's always something that I look forward to."
Student Action Network Coach
"I have employed and used so much of my Relational Leadership experience and training from Intend Health to work."
Krisda Chaiyachati, MD, MPH, MSHP
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
"The leadership skills, relationships, and perspective I have gained through my involvement in Intend Health have shaped the clinician, educator, and leader I am today."
Kyle Turner, PharmD
University of Utah
“I participated in RLI [the Relational Leadership Institute]... and my world has not been the same since. The community that I’ve gained at RLI has been extraordinary. Being part of RLI means being connected to a diverse, interdisciplinary community that breaks down the walls that are typical in academic medicine.”
Katie Gradick, MD, MHS
University of Utah
“A big impact that Intend Health has on me is it makes me more humble, kinder, more intuitive, a better listener, and I’ve been able to teach the skills I’ve learned to others. All of this makes me a better team member, and I think that that's integral to what Intend Health teaches — we need high functioning teams to provide the best care.”
Student Action Network Participant
"In a healthcare system fraught with silos and computer screens, we need the human voice — a personal connection — now more than ever. That's the work of Intend Health."
Matt Lewis, PhD
“Over 100 members of the UNC community have participated in our Relational Leadership Institutes… one word stands out for me in our evaluations — regardless of whether cohorts met in person or via Zoom — and that word is transformative."
Josh Hinson, MSW, LCSW
Assistant Professor University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work
“Relational skills are particularly important right now because they’re rooted in people, with the fundamental assumption that we are good and have common values. If I can approach with unconditional positive regard and build in psychological safety, who knows what we can accomplish, despite the chaos around us.”
Lexy Kliewer, LCSW
Oregon Health and Science University
“Relational Leadership is what keeps me going. When I feel overwhelmed, stressed, down, I turn to members of the Relational Leadership community for support and resilience. We genuinely care about each other. We put ‘people first,’ truly, in our work together.”
Sarah Smithson, MD, MPH
Assistant Dean for Clinical Education University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
“So far, my experience in this Relational Leadership course has been THE highlight of my leadership journey. This program exceeded my expectations. I have been sharing the content with my colleagues who are also inspired by it. Thank you for making the world a better place one Relational Leadership course at a time.”
Relational Leadership for Clinician Leadership Program Participant
"I think the collaborative work that Intend Health does to recruit bright, energized, resilient, diverse, and compassionate primary care physicians all over the country will be even more impactful. Intend Health's efforts will be a big part of the solution to mend our ailing primary care infrastructure in the coming years."
Peter Meyers, MD, MPH
Family Physician, Minnesota Community Care
"Thank you for inspiring a generation of future docs to become primary care physicians. I definitely felt like I had a community during medical school."
Family Medicine Resident, UC Davis San Joaquin General Hospital
Sign up for our communications
Stay updated on Relational Leadership news and workshops.